27. August 2016
If you managed to drop your GoPro Hero4 into water or the ocean (which I did), rescue measures have to be launched quickly. This is how you disassemble a GoPro Hero 4:
- Remove the battery immediately.
- Dry off the camera as good as possible. Rice is a good idea, but takes a while. Better move on with step 3.
- Open the camera housing by following the instructions in the video below.
- Carefully separate all parts from each other and clean them with isopropyl alcohol and cotton wool or similar – DO NOT TOUCH the surface of the CMOS sensor since it can be damaged easily. If the sensor needs to be cleaned, only use a very soft and clean brush.
- Let it dry well.
- Reassemble the camera and hope for the best.
What you need:
- a small bottle of Isopropyl alcohol (should be around 91 percent)
- a set of precision screwdrivers
- cotton wool balls
- a little bit of patience and craftmanship